Home Remedies for Dog ScratchingDecember 20, 2022
Dogs are known for their playful and energetic personalities - but when scratching reaches an excessive level, it can become a problem. Fortunately, there are some home remedies that owners can use to help reduce the amount of scratching. This post will provide an overview of the various home remedies available for treating dog scratching, as well as when you should see a vet and what products may be useful in addition to or instead of the home remedy approach. Finally, we'll give some tips on how to prevent your dog from scratching too much in the first place.
Home Remedies for Dog Scratching
• Apple Cider Vinegar: Adding apple cider vinegar to your pet's water bowl can help reduce itching and scratching. Add no more than a teaspoon per quart of water.
• Oatmeal: Create an oatmeal bath for your dog by grinding up a cup of uncooked oats and adding it to lukewarm water. Allow your pet to soak in the bath for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
• Aloe Vera Gel: Applying aloe vera gel to any skin irritations can help provide relief from itching and scratching.
• Baking Soda Paste: Make a paste by combining 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 3 teaspoons of water and apply it directly on your pet's skin or coat. Leave the paste on for 15 minutes before rinsing with clean water.
• Coconut Oil: Apply coconut oil directly onto any irritated areas of skin to help soothe the itching.
When to See a Vet
If home remedies are not providing relief, or if the scratching is excessive and/or accompanied by other symptoms, it is best to take your dog to the vet for an evaluation. The vet can assess the cause of your pet’s scratching and provide appropriate medical treatment.
What Other Products Should I Try
In addition to using home remedies, there are several products available on the market that may help reduce itching and scratching in pets. We recommend our Squishface line of products to help soothe itchy skin. Keeping your doggo's wrinkles clean and free of debris is part of a good dog care routine. Squishface Wrinkle Wipes are perfect between baths or on the go, our wipes keep your pup clean and fresh-smelling. Wrinkle Wipes are the first step to cleaning and protecting your dog’s sensitive skin. Follow with Squishface Wrinkle Paste to form a water-repellent barrier on the skin surface which keeps moisture, yeast, fungus and other bacteria away to help keep itchy skin and wrinkles at bay.
Watch our products in action right here!
How To Prevent Excessive Dog Scratching
The best way to prevent excessive scratching in dogs is to keep their skin and coat healthy. This means making sure they are on a proper diet, as well as providing regular grooming sessions and baths. Additionally, it is important to keep your home clean of allergens such as dust mites and pollen that can irritate your pet’s skin. Finally, make sure you stay up to date with all flea treatments to help reduce the risk of infestation.
The Bottom Line
Scratching can be a source of discomfort for both our pets and us, but there are a variety of home remedies and products available to help ease the itchiness and keep your pup's skin healthy. Containing natural zinc oxide and soothing coconut oil, Wrinkle Paste targets fungus and prevents infection while providing soothing comfort. It creates a water-repellent barrier to keep bacteria from taking hold. Wrinkle Wipes are a handy pre-prepared companion for a full cleaning on-the-go. No more stink or sores and definitely no more itchy squishy faces. By following these guidelines, you can provide your dog with relief from itching and scratching while keeping them happy and comfortable.
Be sure to follow us on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube for the latest on all things Squishface!