Have you noticed your wrinkly pup itching their ears a lot lately? If so, you're not the only one! Wrinkly dogs - especially those with flat faces, like English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, and Pugs - are prone to itchy ears caused by wax buildup and moisture. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to soothe your furry friend's ears and prevent future itching. Let’s take a look at the causes of itchy ears in wrinkly dogs, how to care for them, and how to prevent itchiness.
Understanding Wrinkly Ears & Skin Irritation
The skin of English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs and Pugs is particularly sensitive and prone to infection. The folds along their neck, tail area and inside their ears are areas where dirt and moisture can easily accumulate – leading to skin irritation. These breeds also have a tendency toward bacterial infections which may be aggravated if the wrinkles and creases aren't kept clean.
If your pup's ears seem extra itchy or red, these signs could indicate that there is an underlying problem such as an infection or allergies. In this case, consult with your veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment.
But, even if there is no underlying issue, it's important to practice preventative care. This will help to keep your pup’s wrinkles clean and healthy and minimize their risk of skin irritation. So, let’s discuss some simple tips for keeping your pup’s ears clean and free from itchiness.
Tips for Caring for & Soothing Wrinkly Ears
1. Clean the area daily with a damp cloth or dog-safe wipes: Keeping the area around your pup’s ears clean can go a long way in preventing infection and itchiness. Use a damp cloth or specifically formulated dog-safe wipes (avoid products with alcohol) to gently wipe around the wrinkles. Luckily, Squishface Wrinkle Wipes are made with an alcohol-free formula that's gentle enough for even the most sensitive and allergy-prone dogs. You can soothe dry skin and wrinkles with a combination of Squishface Wrinkle Wipes and Squishface Wrinkle Paste.
2. Prevent and soothe the itchiness: Instead of dealing with constant irritations, we designed our Squishface Wrinkle Paste to work as a water-repellent barrier, thus preventing bacteria from ever taking hold. Just like our Wrinkle Wipes, the Paste also contains soothing coconut oil to nourish and replenish your dogs’ skin and fur.
3. Give your pup regular baths: Bathing your pup once or twice a month can help remove dirt and debris from their wrinkles and prevent infection and irritation. However, make sure that you use only gentle, soap-free shampoos that are specifically formulated for dogs with sensitive skin (avoid human shampoo).
4. Check for parasites regularly: Look out for signs of parasitic infestations such as fleas or mites in the wrinkles of your pup’s skin. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, contact your vet immediately as they may require special treatment.
5. Keep nails trimmed: Overgrown nails can cause irritation and discomfort to their delicate skin, so make sure to keep them trimmed regularly.
The Bottom Line
We hope this post has helped to provide some insights on how to care for your pup's wrinkly ears and reduce any itching or irritation caused by dirt, oils and moisture accumulation. Remember that regular cleaning and moisturizing are key for preventing infection, but if you notice any redness or itchiness it could be an underlying issue which requires veterinary attention. But with regular preventative care, we're sure your pup's wrinkly ears will stay healthy and in great condition.