As the weather gets warmer, many dog owners start thinking about taking their pups swimming. However, there are some things to keep in mind when doing this, especially if you have a “wrinkly” dog breed. English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, and Pugs are all breeds that have skin folds on their bodies. These skin folds can trap water and bacteria, which can lead to infections. In this article, we are sharing important tips to help keep your wrinkly dog safe when swimming and after getting out of the water.
Staying Safe in The Water
Even before you get into the water, there are a few things to take into consideration.
- Choose a calm body of water. Avoid rivers or oceans with strong currents, as your dog could get swept away. A lake or pool is a good option.
- Put a life jacket on your dog. This is particularly important for bulldogs because they can sink without one. A life jacket will help them stay afloat and prevent them from getting tired.
- Keep an eye on your dog at all times. Don’t let them out of your sight, as they could get into trouble quickly.
- Always bring your own water. Avoid letting your dog drink from lakes or ponds, as the water could contain harmful bacteria. Bring a bowl and some fresh water for your dog to drink from instead.
After Swimming Tips
Protecting your wrinkly dog after a swim is important for preventing irritation and infection in their skin folds and wrinkles. Here are the steps to take after getting out of the water:
- Be sure to get your pup completely dry after swimming. Use a clean towel to dry off their fur, and then use a second towel to dry their skin folds. If you have a hairdryer, you can use that on a low setting to help dry their skin folds. Just be careful not to hold it too close, as Bulldogs have sensitive skin.
- Clean their skin folds with Squishface Wrinkle Wipes. This will help remove any bacteria that could cause an infection. Wrinkle Wipes are perfect for those hard-to-clean places. Since there’s no harsh chemicals, you don’t need to worry about stinging or irritation.
- After using Wrinkle Wipes, use Squishface Wrinkle Paste to form a water-repellent barrier on the skin surface which keeps moisture, yeast, fungus and other bacteria away. Wrinkle Paste was created without water or alcohol and includes calming shea butter and protective avocado oil to soothe sensitive skin.
- If you take your doggo swimming regularly this summer, be sure to skin folds and wrinkles for any signs of infection. Some signs to look out for are redness, swelling, or discharge. If you notice any of these, make an appointment to take your dog to the vet.
The Bottom Line
Taking your wrinkly dog swimming can be a great way to beat the heat. Just be sure to take the necessary precautions to keep them safe. And don’t forget to clean their skin folds afterwards!