Dogs with wrinkly skin, such as English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs & Pugs are susceptible to a range of ear problems. Dirt, wax, and moisture can all become trapped in the folds of skin, providing the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This can lead to infection, irritation, and a build-up of smelly yeast. In this article, we are discussing the most common ear problems that wrinkly dogs have and some easy tips you can follow to keep your dog's ears clean and healthy.
Common Wrinkly Dog Ear Problems
Ear infections are the most common ear problem that dogs suffer from. The warm, moist environment inside a dog's ear is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. If left untreated, an ear infection can cause serious pain and damage to your dog's hearing.
Yeast infections are another common ear problem in dogs. Yeast is a type of fungus that loves to grow in warm, moist environments. When yeast grows out of control, it can cause irritation, redness, and a foul-smelling discharge.
Ear mites are tiny parasitic bugs that live inside your dog's ears. They feed on the wax and oils inside the ear, which can lead to irritation and inflammation. If left untreated, ear mites can cause serious damage to your dog's ear canal.
Signs Your Wrinkly Dog May Have an Ear Problem
If you notice any of the following signs, your dog may have an ear problem:
- Shaking their head or scratching their ears
- Holding their head tilted to one side
- Redness or swelling inside the ear
- A foul-smelling odor coming from their ears
- Brown, yellow, or black discharge in their ears
- Hair loss around the base of their ears
Tips for Keeping Your Dog's Ears Clean and Healthy
The best way to prevent ear problems is to keep your dog's ears clean and dry. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
1. Check your dog's ears regularly for any signs of redness, irritation, or discharge. If you see anything unusual, take them to the vet right away.
2. Use a Squishface Wrinkle Wipe to clean your dog's ears once a week. Never use cotton swabs or Q-tips as they can push wax and debris further into the ear canal. Our alcohol-free formula is gentle enough for even the most sensitive and allergy-prone dogs. Our wipes also have phytosphingosine in them. Phytosphingosine is a pro-ceramide with anti-inflammatory and microbe repelling properties. It helps rebuild the natural ceramides found in the skin barrier that are critical in helping keep the skin healthy.
3. Try to keep your dog's ears dry by using a dog-specific ear drying solution after swimming or bathing.
4. If your dog has floppy ears, make sure to fold them over so that water doesn't get trapped inside.
The Bottom Line
Wrinkly dogs are susceptible to a range of ear problems, but with some regular cleaning and care, you can help prevent them. Be sure to check your dog's ears regularly for any signs of irritation or infection and visit the vet if you see anything unusual. Use Squishface Wrinkle Wipes to clean your dog's ears once a week and try to keep their ears dry by using a dog-specific ear drying solution after swimming or bathing. Following these tips will help keep your wrinkly dog's ears healthy.