Tips For Cleaning Your Dog's WrinklesJune 30, 2022
Bracycephalic, which literally means "Short-headed", are dog breeds describing dogs with short muzzles and noses, like Pugs, English Bulldogs and French Bulldogs. Because of their unique facial structure producing short snouts, they also have a lot of wrinkles - which can be both cute and a challenge to keep them clean and odor free.
Special Care for Wrinkly Dog Parents
As a wrinkly dog parent, you may find yourself wondering how to best take care of your pup's unique needs. While all dogs need exercise, good nutrition, and plenty of love and attention, wrinkly dogs require some extra TLC when it comes to keeping them clean and healthy. Here are a few general tips on how to keep your dog's wrinkles clean and free of infection:
1. Use a mild cleanser specifically designed for dogs. Avoid using human soap, or shampoos which can be too harsh for your dog's skin.
2. Gently massage the cleanser into your dog's wrinkles, being careful not to scrub too hard as the areas around the wrinkles are sensitive.
3. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
4. Be sure to dry your dog's wrinkles thoroughly after rinsing them. A hairdryer on a low or cool setting can help speed up the process. Just be sure not to hold the dryer too close to your dog's skin. Alternatively, you can pat dry with a soft towel or let air dry.
5. Apply a moisturizer designed for dogs to help keep the skin hydrated and free of irritation.
6. Repeat this process as often as needed, typically at least once a week but more often in the summer months.
The Best Way to Clean Your Wrinkly Doggo's Wrinkles
While these general tips are helpful, the best way to clean a wrinkly dog's wrinkles is to use wipes specifically designed for wrinkly dogs such as Squishface Wrinkle Wipes. Our alcohol-free formula is gentle enough for even the most sensitive and allergy-prone dogs. These pre-moistened wipes are perfect for between baths and help deodorize your pups. Our wipes have phytosphingosine in them and no other dog wipes have that. Phytosphingosine is a pro-ceramide with anti-inflammatory and microbe repelling properties. It helps rebuild the natural ceramides found in the skin barrier that are critical in helping keep the skin healthy.
Squishface Wrinkle Wipes Pairs Perfectly with Squishface Wrinkle Paste!
After soothing your pup's wrinkles with our wrinkle wipes, use wrinkle paste as a protective barrier on your dog’s nose rope, wrinkles and skin folds, toes or tail pockets, Wrinkle paste forms a water-repellent barrier on the skin surface which keeps moisture, yeast, fungus and other bacteria at bay resulting in happy, protected and fresh smelling bulldog wrinkles.
The Bottom Line
The skin of a wrinkly dog is very different from that of a non-wrinkly dog. The skin of a wrinkly dog is thicker and has more folds, this makes it difficult for air to circulate and for dirt and bacteria to be removed. As a result, the skin of a wrinkly dog is more susceptible to infections and other skin problems which can emit a foul odor. Cleaning your dog's wrinkles is important for preventing skin problems and keeping your dog clean, healthy and smelling great.
For more tips, tricks, and all things Squishface, don’t forget to visit the blog every week!