As a pet owner, you may be wondering if it's safe to put Vaseline on your dog's face. After all, humans use it for everything from keeping skin soft to protecting minor cuts and scrapes.
Vaseline is actually a brand name for petroleum jelly, which is a blend of mineral oils and waxes. It forms a barrier on the skin that can help to lock in moisture and protect against external irritants.
So, can you put Vaseline on your dog's face? Read on to find out the answer.
The Dos and Don'ts of Using Vaseline on Dogs
When it comes to using Vaseline on dogs, there are some important dos and don'ts that you need to be aware of:
- Use Vaseline on Your Dog's Nose. One of the most common places that pet owners use Vaseline is on their dog's nose.
- Apply a thin layer of Vaseline to your dog's nose during the winter months to protect against dryness and cracking.
- Put Vaseline on your dog's paw pads before a walk to create a barrier against harsh weather conditions and rough surfaces.
- Never put Vaseline inside your dog's ears.
- Don't use Vaseline as a way to treat hot spots or other skin irritations on your dog. If your pet has any kind of skin disorder, always consult with your veterinarian first.
- Never put Vaseline on a dog's face if he is showing any signs of respiratory distress, such as heavy panting or difficulty breathing. This could be a sign of an allergic reaction.
What Should I Use instead?
If you're looking for a safe and healthy way to keep your dog's skin moisturized, consider using a product that is specifically designed for wrinkly dogs such as Squishface Wrinkle Paste. Wrinkle Paste is a wrinkle cleaner and tear stain cream for dogs created without water or alcohol and with a limited, only absolutely essential ingredient list. Wrinkle Paste uses calming shea butter and protective avocado oil to soothe sensitive skin, specifically in the areas between squishy face wrinkles and tails pockets. Wrinkle Paste also removes tear stains, helps soothe itchiness and it is easy to apply on your doggo.
For your dog's ears, use a Squishface Wrinkle Wipe to clean them once a week. Our alcohol-free formula is gentle enough for even the most sensitive and allergy-prone dogs. Our wipes also have phytosphingosine in them. Phytosphingosine is a pro-ceramide with anti-inflammatory and microbe repelling properties. It helps rebuild the natural ceramides found in the skin barrier that are critical in helping keep the skin healthy. Remember to keep Vaseline away from your pup's ears.
The Bottom Line
Vaseline can be used safely on dogs in some situations, but it's important to exercise caution and follow the proper dosage instructions every time. Always consult with your Vet first if you have any concerns about using Vaseline on your pet.